Contributors

Powered by Blogger.

Friday, August 31, 2012

Vegan Mac n' Cheese

 When I took my kids off dairy in January, I was a little nervous about what meals they would eat. I had a few that had worked out, but it took a lot of trying different dishes to find more. There were many PB&J nights and I scratched quite a few recipes off my list. One day my sister Katie emailed me this recipe from Plant Infusions and I knew I had to try it. I did a few days later and WOW! I knew I now had an easy, quick, vegan, and delicious meal up my sleeve that my kids LOVED.

 It smelled yummy while it cooked but I was hesitant about the coconut milk. Would it taste like coconut? Would it taste like CHEESE?!

 I took a bite and was in luscious, creamy heaven. I exclaimed, "MMMMM!!" and quickly served up helpings for my kids. 

 They each took a hesitant bite and within seconds finished off the plate full. They were so excited.
The recipe calls for 1 can of coconut milk but I just use half. Everything else is exactly how Ashlee wrote it out. Oh, and I don't mix in peas (obvi). Edamame was the protein for this meal, which the kids like to squeeze into their mouths by pinching them out of their skin. It is a great source of entertainment, and I love it because they are getting some protein.

Plant Infused Macaroni and Cheese
By Ashlee Crozier

Serves 6-8

Ingredients:


4 cups dry, high quality pasta, cooked according to package directions
1 and 1/2 pounds frozen, high quality petite peas (about 3-5 cups cooked) or your favorite steamed vegetable

Basic Cheese Sauce:

1 can coconut milk (not light!)
2 cups water
1/4 heaping cup nutritional yeast
3 teaspoons celtic sea salt
3/4 heaping cup raw cashews
1 tablespoon lemon juice (carefully measured)
1/4 cup corn starch
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 12 ounce package pre-cut butternut squash cubes, about 1 and 1/4 - 1/2 cups, cooked in water on stovetop until tender, or according to package directions. (I used my pressure cooker and cooked it for 3-4 minutes.)

Directions:

1.) Cook macaroni, or whatever pasta type you have chosen, according to package directions.

2.) Meanwhile, steam your pre-cut butternut squash in a separate pot until tender or according to package directions. Drain, and place in your blender.

3.) Steam your chosen, chopped vegetable that you will add to finished Macaroni and Cheese until tender. Drain, and set aside.

4.) Add remaining basic cheese sauce ingredients to your blender, and blend until very smooth, about 1 or 2 minutes. You don't want any chunks, but a very smooth cream sauce.

3.) Drain cooked pasta and return to stockpot. Pour desired amount of blended mixture into hot, drained macaroni and cook together until thick, stirring gently and constantly. Extra cheese sauce can be stored in glass jars and used for grilled cheese sandwiches or for cheese-y recipes later.

4.) When the sauce has thickened, add your cooked, chosen vegetable and fold in gently.

5.) Serve warm, or put in an oiled casserole dish, cover with basic or seasoned bread crumbs, and bake under broiler (500 degrees) for 5 to 10 minutes, watching carefully not to burn.

Tip: If made ahead and heated the next day, or if you have leftovers, stir in some water before re-heating; it tends to be dry if it sits. 

Notes from Alisa: We have used regular, whole wheat, and gluten-free pasta with this sauce. The whole wheat was a little heavy (like Ashlee notes) and I wouldn't recommend it. But the kids still ate it. The GF pasta is delicious as well. Makes me feel a little less guilty about eating a ton if I know the pasta has protein in it (quinoa pasta)! The sauce usually lasts us 3-4 days of dinner, lunch, dinner, and lunch. Lol. They REALLY love it. hubs finally got a taste (we had been polishing it all off before he would get home) and he proclaimed it "AMAZING!"

We have made it in to vegan grilled cheese sandwiches and it is quite tasty. In fact, the first time my 3yo took a bite of said sandwich, she jumped up and did a happy dance while she chewed it. I have never seen her do that before or since, but I will always remember the joy on that little face of eating something yummy after so many weird meals Mom cooked!



2 comments:

  1. Oh, how fun to read your story! Yay for happy kiddos! I am so glad you found and like this. Sometimes it is such a challenge to find a good plant based meal, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alisa, I needed to mention that the maple baked beans with sweet potato on my post yesterday isn't very kid-friendly. I had to make my kids something else. I felt like I had to give you a heads up! Your kids might like it if they are used to eating lentils. But, I didn't even try to convince them to eat it cuz I knew it was pretty much adult food. I just had to tell you!

    ReplyDelete