Contributors

Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pink Princess Soup

I made this up once when I had some beets on hand and it was a huge hit. The girls gobble it down and so do I. I tell you, the vibrant pink color is hard to resist.
 It looks sorta red in this picture, but it is a bright, shocking pink.  We like to smear it on our lips and pretend we're wearing lipstick.  Next time I'll get a picture of that. Mwah.
I happened to whip up a batch of bread that day so we served that as well. My oldest likes to dip her bread in the soup and have pink bread.

The recipe is approximate since I made it up and just toss things in, so feel free to adjust to your liking.

1/2 to one medium beet, steamed, peeled, and diced. (I usually cook the beet earlier in the day to save on dinner prep time)
4-5 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
veggie broth to cook potatoes in 
almond or other non dairy milk for thinning.

I used my pressure cooker so I'll give directions for that. It would work just as well to use a pot on the stove, but you may have to use a bit more water.

Place the potatoes in the pressure cooker with enough broth to cover them by about one inch. Add seasonings and cook on high for 2 minutes with quick release.  Test potatoes with a fork, it should be able to break the potato apart easily. Add the beet and blend with an immersion blender. Let kids watch because as the beet gets blended in, it turns to such a pretty color. It's my favorite part (besides eating it). Add milk if needed.

The blending of the potatoes does turn it sorta gummy after it cools, but we don't have a problem with that. You could always use a masher if you prefer, but it would be a chunkier soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment